On the 2nd November 2016 the HSE published the 2015/16 statistics on work-related health and safety in Great Britain which serve as a reminder to all who work at height or manage work at height.
Some key statistics are:
- 1.3 million people suffering from a work-related illness
- 144 workers killed at work
- 72,702 injuries to employees reported under RIDDOR
- 621,000 injuries occured at work according to the Labour Force Survey
- 30.4 million working days lost due to work-related illness and workplace injury
In the Contruction industry alone, there were an estimated 66,000 self-reported non-fatal workplace injuries, with 20% of those being a fall from height! The Agricultural sector and the Transport and Storgage sector reported combined estimated 68,000 self-reported non-fatal workplace injuries, 11% of which were a fall from height.
The statistics overview and more detailed information can be found here: http://www.hse.gov.uk/Statistics/index.htm